Saturday, December 12, 2009

kolacky cookies



I have been baking this Polish treat for over 20 years at Christmastime.  I don't know why I never bother during the rest of the year - it must be a conditioning thing.  They taste better during the holidays. I pack them in cute little tins and dispense them to my clients and friends as gifts, filled with warm wishes. 

Today I share this recipe as I know it.  There are numerous varieties on how to make them and you can substitute cream cheese for ice cream and margarine for butter, but this is how I do it.  It's best if you prepare the dough a day prior as it takes a long time to make as many as I do and the task is more pleasant spread over two days.  I typically make 3 batches at first which takes 4 cans of filling and triple the above recipe (see my picture) then another batch closer to Christmas for our dinner so they are fresh.  I always freeze a batch of dough for Wayne's cousin so he can make his own whenever after our Christmas dinner.

Ice Cream Kolacky Cookies

1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 lb. butter (4 sticks)
1 pint vanilla ice cream, melted
3 tbsp. sugar
4 cups flour
your favorite fillings
powdered sugar for dusting

Mix together flour, sugar and baking powder.  Add butter and cut in (like for a pie).  Careful here for it can get messy so keep the speed on low until it mixes thoroughly.  Add slightly melted ice cream.  Form into a ball and wrap in wax paper overnight or in a few hours if you only make one batch. Remove from fridge and let it thaw about an hour.  Once softened, take little chunks and roll into a ball, press onto baking pan with thumb in the center.  Add fillings as desired (this is a good time for warm wishes.)  Bake at 350 for 15 minutes tops.  Remove from oven and let cool.  Place on dish and sprinkle with powdered sugar.  I like to mix and match my fillings depending on who is receiving them as everyone has their favorites.  My boys love the apricot, strawberry and cherry, I love the poppy. Other fillings I use are lemon, almond and raspberry.  They look so festive with the variety of colors.

From my home to yours, filled with love. Enjoy!  xo