Saturday, December 26, 2009

let it snow



the weather outside is frightful, but to me it's just delightful
as long as you love me so, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

We are getting a huge dusting from the heavens but it is so hypnotic just watching it embrace our bushes that I love it so much.  I have not left my home for a couple of days but had to leave and shop for food (what else is new) to make my dishes for the next few days.  To my delight, I was in the middle of my list and my better half came to help me with the load of goodies.  Once everything was home I made each of us a cute bloody mary, including celery stick, and began my cooking sojourn.  I prepared the chili for big daddy and us and while I chopped my assorted ingredients listened to my ipod.  It was on fire today.  My ears are so satisfied.  I hope it is reflected in the cooking for it was so pleasurable creating my dishes this way.  I am making homemade pizza for everyone tomorrow but got all the stuff chopped so all I have to do is put it together and deliver.  I'll share that tomorrow.

Anyone interested in guacamole, here goes:

6 avocados, mix soft and hard
2 ripened tomatoes on the vine
3 scallions
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
olive oil
juice of one fresh lime
lots of salt (to taste)

Slice the avocado in half length-wise, separate and use the knife and mash into the pit, then pull it out and dump.  Scoop the avocado into a bowl and mush to your liking.  Chop the tomatoes and scallions and add to mix.  Pour a little oil and squeeze the lime into mix, including salt and cilantro.  Mash and let set awhile.  Dip using your favorite nacho chips and relish this treat. Avocados are healthy and a great source of protein (not the nachos tho) Can't have everything all the time. 

It is so quiet in our home - Mike's at his place, Steve is visiting his buddy, sweet Ellie Bellie, and poor Dan is working (again.)  He still has not opened his presents but will later on.  He likes his job so no worries.  I am looking forward to sampling the chili on a day like today - that is comfort food at its best.  I have not cooked for a few days as we always cater our Christmas Eve dinner - usually from Bobak or Rosati.  Everyone raves about the chicken parmesan, seasoned potatoes, Italian sausage with sweet peppers, mostaccoli and all I have to do is provide the little things like veggies and pickle trays, cheese and crackers and voila - dinner is served.  My extravaganza cooking is Thanksgiving but after a long month of cooking, baking, decorating, shopping, cleaning and wrapping gifts, I cherish not having to prepare so much for the big day.  It works for me and keeps things enjoyable; especially on days like now where all is calm, all is white.  I am reflecting on all that transpired the last few months and pray so hard for those who are sick or financially strapped and especially those who lost a loved one.  I know God will provide the relief they all need but it doesn't hurt to nudge Him a little, along with my prayers of gratitude for all He does.  Hugs from all my boys were the best gift I ever want.  The joy on their faces when they receive a gift they really like helps, too, as well as a nice call from Dad and Bo exclaiming high praise for my blog book with reflections of my thoughts.  Acceptance is sweet and I am relishing this just for today.  Soft cuddles from Wayne-O top everything.  Thanks, babe.  Warm wishes to everyone.  Try to stay merry. xo