Wednesday, April 28, 2010

clotheslines

What a perfect day for hanging clothes and sheets out to dry.  This is how we did it back in the day.  We rarely used a dryer appliance, for Mother Nature provided us the best method of drying all our items with her fresh breeze that left her crisp, clean smell on anything we left outside.They just blow in the breeze as if dancing on the line.
Sometimes I drape my comforters outside just to refresh and let the air kiss them for that unique smell.  I had a clothesline all my life until a few years ago.  Now I just throw them over our fence but there is nothing like hanging them on a clothesline for the full effect of freshness.  They try to make detergent to recapture that fresh feeling, but it is not the same.
The almighty clothespin.  We found at least half a dozen unopened packages at the Sawyer home.  I still have a bowlful on hand but when we dismantled the pool, we lost our posting.  Boo hoo.
When items are hung on a line, you never have to iron, the wind takes care of things.  Back to basics, I say.  When we considered moving to Lakelands, this cute neighborhood in Plainfield, one of the covenants was that no one was allowed to post a clothesline, nor keep their garage doors open, as if that's a ghetto thing or something.  Needless to say, we did not move there.  I miss my clothesline. 

there is nothing like a breath of fresh air xo