Monday, April 19, 2010

men and their grills

Men like to grill.  I don't know what it is about that thing, but even when it's cold outside, if I need something with a seared taste, my boys are at the ready to prepare it on their mighty grill.  It could be breakfast links or sausage for spaghetti, but they have the most fun grilling steaks and burgers.  Think of all the tailgaters before ballgames.  It must be a macho thing.  Now that Mike has a grill for his deck, he cooks all the time.  Who knew?
The doggies like when Wayne cooks outside, for their senses know something tasty is brewing.  Their snouts wriggle like a pig when the aroma whafts through the air.  Thumper waits patiently for the meal to finish so she can have her scrap bones.
Today I am preparing a chicken dish, in my oven.  I prepare the chicken breasts by parboiling them in my crock for a few hours.  This makes them tender.  After the chicken is soft, do not discard the broth, but freeze it to use for soup another day. Another option is to fry the breasts in a pan, but not today.  While they are soaking, I make a potato or rice dish.  This time it will be scallop potatoes and Spanish rice.  I know this is a lot of carbs, but so what.   I am adding fresh broccoli as my veggie.   Once everything is prepared, place the chicken, potatoes, rice and broccoli in a baking pan.  Season the chicken and broccoli with your favorite dressing.  Just pour it over everything. Today I am using Chipolte Cheddar Cheese.  Sometimes I use Robusto Italian or Ranch. Cover with tin foil and bake at 350 degrees for at least an hour.  All the ingredients will blend and make for a great meal in one container.  The house smells so savory.

You learn through your creations.  Jane Roberts

With each new day I put away the past and discover new beginnings I have been given. Angela Wozniak

To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it.  Confucius

Happy days! xo