Monday, April 26, 2010

tacos today

When we lived at the back of the yards on 48th and Wolcott, our neighbors, the Lalos, were Mexican, and cooked these foreign foods, one dish was tacos.  They invited me over to sample their meal and I dashed home to give my mom the recipe and we indulged in this simple yet delicious dish since then.  Later it proved to be a huge hit in our country, but I make them at home since it is so easy and tasty.  I hope you like it. We call them whammies.
Brown, then drain, 3 lbs. ground beef.  Add 2 packages of McCormick hot taco mix with 1 1/2 cups water and simmer for 15 minutes, while stirring.  I enhance this with Adobe seasoning and garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper to taste.  Let sit in skillet and on the stove burner, place your taco shells, whether it be corn, large, flour, small, whatever you like, and heat directly on the grill turning over very quickly (10 seconds max each side).  I used to heat the shells in a pan with oil, but an hombre told me about this method and it works better.  Top the tacos with your favorites, such as shredded cheddar cheese, scallions, salsa, cilantro, tomatoes, jalapenos, carrots, lettuce and enjoy.  This is a very sloppy dish, so have plenty of napkins handy. 
I discovered Dahlias last year and must add them to my garden again.  They grow so big and plentiful with little care. 

buenos dias, mi amigas xo