Sunday, June 20, 2010

happy dad's day

                                                    
father: a male parent, a man who raises a child, a man who adopts a child, a man who creates, originates, or founds something, a male ancestor

Today we celebrate all the dads in our lives.  Many times these shoes are filled by uncles, coaches or family friends.  My favorite expression is that any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad. Being a dad is more than just someone who brings home the bacon and cuts the grass, but one who stablizes a family.  He is the balance of the female energy, the yang of the yin. A wise father will contemplate any situation before offering sage advice and it has been my experience that this support is filled with encouragement and optimism.  Men think differently than women in that they will rise above emotion to make decisions. They are the fixers and their goal is to resolve the obstacles. The way a man treats his spouse is how a son will treat his wife.  The subtle actions make tremendous impacts on how future generations live their lives.
I have been fortunate to enjoy extended father figures in my life.  I had a great grandfather Walter Kelton, and three grandfathers, Lloyd Girtman and Huey Parsons (Paw Paw.)  I got to know Wayne's grandpa George Nalepa (ciszawz), Uncle Achie and Uncle Andy.  They have all passed now but my heart holds many memories with them throughout my childhood.  We have enjoyed being closely connected with our Uncle Steve, especially after George passed on. I fondly remember times with Uncle Bill, Uncle Ronnie, Uncle Ray and Uncle Richie.  I still connect with Uncle Ray (flagman) now and then and always look forward to spending time with Uncle Bill.  He has a lot of talent and I continue to learn about his secret recipes and gardening tips.  I so loved George, my father-in-law, and enjoyed the little time we had until his passing just after we married.  We were very close and he called me blue eyes and I called him bombhead.  We were each other's biggest fan.
I am lucky to be able to bond with my dad.  Sometimes while growing up dads can be over protective and not so demonstrative of affections, but something happens as they age and they get a little softer.  I look forward to visiting him each week and giving him a massage, tending his garden and bringing over his chili and pizza.  He keeps saying we should not go out of our way for him, but truly it is our pleasure to do these little things.  It's the least we could do for all he does for us.  As I shared before, he worked two jobs for 45 years to support our family of 10 and made sure we had excellent educations.  He taught us how to enjoy family and offered fantastic parties while entertaining us with his accordian and guitar.  He always made sure we had clothes on our back and food on the table.  Now he wants to win the lottery. He gave each of us a key to his home and his door is always open for visits, before and after his naps :).
 
Wayne-O is the perfect dad as far as I'm concerned.  If the boys need something, he is right there for them in a heartbeat.  He knows just the right thing to say and do in any given situation.  He passed on his talented genes for music onto his sons, as well as showing them that men are indeed allowed to be strong, yet tender. Our sons adore him and happily share their experiences with him.  If they follow as he is, they will have wonderful lives ahead of them.  His footprints are imbedded in our hearts. They will always have a great role model when they decide to become fathers.  I can't wait to see how he will be when he becomes a grandfather.  Watch out wee ones! 

Warm wishes to all the fathers and father-figures.  Today we honor you for all you do. xo