Wednesday, July 14, 2010

hot and humid

global warming

Just the way I like it!  It may be too much for some, especially if you are a winter person, but not me.  I enjoy the summer weather and this season we have Mother Nature to thank for keeping our gardens lush with her nightly rains.  Thanks!  Air-conditioning is a pleasant reprieve from the intensity, but if you sit outside at night, the gentle breezes are soothing.  Yesterday our Comcast service was down due to a fiber cut which affected over a thousand people.  I have been busy trimming trees and pulling weeds during the day and running around with errands so I did not miss it until night when we relish time to watch the news.  It is uncomfortable not being able to know what is going on in the outside world.  Good thing we have a radio but it's not the same.  I sat outside until dark sipping lemonade with my lemon leaves from the garden while reading the new Sookie book  I must say, however, it is a little boring compared to her other works.  Everything works today so I can catch up with my fellow clickers and share their world.

dog days

Ponti gave us a scare the other day, for he was trying to go down the steps and could not, so I helped him down and gave him his medicine for the hip and it seemed as if he was having a seizure.  His eyes got crazy, he was panting and shaking and I called the vet, who suggested I look at his gums and if they are dry and white, it means he is in distress, if pink and moist, he will be ok.  They were pink so I gave him reiki to calm him down and he was better.  We hovered over him all day for signs of a repeat, but he is good now.  Last week it was Thumper, this week Pontiac.  That's enough, already. 

my basil

Today is calmer.  I am preparing a sirloin tip roast in the crock using au jus; sides are potatoes and corn, with a fresh salad from our garden.  Our cherry tomatoes are ripening and the basil and dill are yummy.  For an appetizer I decided to make my special treat:  sour dough bread, sliced, with a drizzle of olive oil, layered with bella mushrooms, basil, tomato and brie cheese.   Pop under the broiler for a minute and delicious.  Cubed watermelon and oatmeal raisin cookies for dessert. I don't like to use the oven during heat waves.  Why tempt the fates?  We have had enough power outages, might as well do my part for the global warming.

To live means sharing another's space, dreams, sorrows, contributing our ears to hear, our eyes to see, our arms to hold and our hearts to love.  Paul Tillich

What most of us want, is to be heard; to communicate. Dory Previn

There is no such thing as a non-working mother. Hester Mundis

Have fun and be happy.  xo