Sunday, November 28, 2010

deena's easy peasy beer bread

Deena's Beer Bread

Today the area is hyped up for the  Bears vs. Eagles football game.  We heard at least four conversations at the grocery store with predictions and my fellow facebook friends are gearing up to watch the game.  All week news announcers mentioned this is a validation game which makes me scream.  How many times have I heard that this year?  Let's enjoy a good old-fashioned tight game (with the Bears ahead 47-3, per my better half.) 

My cousin shared an easy recipe for me to try.  She knows I have a hard time baking and thought my confidence could be boosted with an easier recipe with only four ingredients.  Thanks, Deena. 

beer bread with cheese

3 cups self- rising flour
1/2 cup sugar
12 oz. beer

butter for top

Mix first 3 ingredients and place sticky dough into greased loaf pan.  Bake at 375 for 50-55 minutes.  Drizzle melted butter on top of loaf while hot out of the oven so it gets nice and melted. 
Add cheese, bacon, nuts; or for a sweeter version, raisins or cranberries.  Substitute the beer with sugar-free or regular soda.  The beauty of this bread is the basic simplicity.  Serve with soups, stews or casseroles.  Today is chili for the football games.  Indulge your senses. 


GO BEARS! xo