Wednesday, December 29, 2010

chicken fajitas



I am a domestic goddess.  My joy is creating scrumptious dishes for my family with lots of love.  Today I prepare Wayne's second favorite dish - chicken fajitas.  His all time is spaghetti which he claims he could eat every day. I keep telling him he was a Roman in a past life.  We have been bombarded with pictures, movies and stories of Italy all week so I am taking this as a sign from the universe to go visit this amazing part of the world, hence, I begin a new project researching and preparing our trip.  For now this goddess has prepared a Mexican dish for all to enjoy while they endure the plethora of football games on today.  There were a few upsets yesterday which makes it all the more exciting ~ you never know...

Chicken Fajitas

6 skinless chicken breasts
(cut up in long bits)
1 yellow pepper
1 green pepper
1 poblano pepper
1 red pepper
2 onions
(peppers and onions sliced in long bits)
1 pkg. fajita mix
1 pkg. taco mix
1 pkg. sazon

2 pkgs. fajita shells

Saute chicken in 1/4 cup of water to prevent quick burning.  Drain when chicken turns white, but save broth.  Add sliced peppers and onions.  Season with fajita, taco and sazon mix.  Stir for a minute, adding the saved chicken broth.  Simmer on very low for about 30 minutes.  Done.
Some people heat shells in a pan with oil, but this is unnecessary and saves 50 calories, so I do it the way a Mexican friend told me - just heat on the stove for a dozen seconds each side.  Easy peasy.
I had to share a photo of our beggar dogs.  They swarmed Margarita the other night, to no avail.  We had a heartwarming visit with Uncle Steve and The Girtman family.  It's always nice to connect and catch up at their happy place. 

Life is beautiful xo