Friday, February 18, 2011

favorite things


tree of enchantment

Isn't this weeping pussy willow tree adorable?  Darcy and her mom, Julie, presented it to me last week.  The official name is salix caprea pendula and is among the most graceful of trees.  It is connected with all that is feminine-dreaming, intuition, emotion, enchantment, healing and revitalization.  The willow has long since been recognized as a sacred tree by poets, philosophers and religious leaders because of the flexibility of its twigs.  The willow's flexibility symbolizes resilience and inspires us to move with life rather than resist what we are feeling. 

Legend has it that willow is bestowed with magical power capable of fulfilling wishes.  For a wish to be granted, ask permission of the willow explaining your desire.  Select a pliable shoot and tie a loose knot in it expressing your wish.  When your wish is fulfilled, return and untie the knot.  Remember to thank the willow for your gift.

The plant must be kept indoor for the first winter and well-watered.  Silvery white catkins will appear followed by yellow stamens later in season.  After flowering, cut back to within six inches of the stem allowing new branches to come for the following year.  Plant outside in spring and keep well watered for the first year.  I must find the perfect location and follow my feng shui placements but methinks to just keep it in a big pot indoors;  my aunt had a dickens of a time with hers. 
This beautiful cardinal keeps me company every day.  He likes hanging around the window and I think he likes when I whistle to him. 
These are my slugs ~ Ponti is sleeping on my slippers. 

To celebrate this gorgeous sunny day, I had to make my all time favorite dish - chicken pasta parmesan.
cookie monster

 My girls and I are attending a baby shower this Sunday and I just had to get this little guy.  I had a blast browsing in the Babies R Us store and know this is my new stomping ground ~ already registered in their rewards program.  LOL.

These are just a few of my favorite things for today and I share some lyrics from Rodgers and Hammerstein Sound of Music.  It's such a catchy tune and keeps a smile in my soul.

My Favorite Things

Raindrops on roses, whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles, warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored ponies, crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells, schnitzel with the noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things

Girls in white dresses with the blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things

When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And I don't feel so sad  xo