Wednesday, September 14, 2011

biopsy


  Greek:  bio life and opsia to see

Biopsy is a medical test removing cells or tissues for examination to determine the presence or extent of a disease.  When a sample of tissue is removed with a needle in such a way that cells are removed the procedure is called a needle aspiration.  The pathological examination of a biopsy can determine whether a lesion is benign or malignant and can help differentiate between different types of cancers. 
This is the official definition of biopsy.  My personal definition is pain, extreme stress and trauma.  I have endured two biopsies in my life:  30 years ago I had a uterine biopsy to determine infertility (which was excruciating) and Monday I had my left breast traumatized with a sterotactic and ultrasound breast biopsy.  After 18 radiation mammograms, they detected calcifications in two areas of my left breast, so I had to bite the bullet and make sure the abnormalities were not cancerous.  Wouldn't you know it would be the one all my boys favored when they suckled as infants?  I went to the imaging center begrudgingly for in my heart I knew I was healthy, but after the radiations and titanium markers, hematomas and all that pain and stress, I wondered if it was worth it.  Perhaps I should have followed my intuition and left well enough alone.  Ten days of extreme tension have been relieved when I received the call from Dr. Simon that all cells are benign and I am cancer free. 
While I went through the biopsy there were technical difficulties which prolonged the aggravating ordeal, but all I could think about was my little moonface.  The nurses were very compassionate and tried to distract me with senseless chatter but all I wanted to do was focus on my little grandson and that is what I did.  I envisioned holding him and giving him smooches the whole time.  Tomorrow I begin my special time with him as Margarita resumes working. Wayne drove me to the store so I could get some goodies for the little guy and we bought some rattles and teething rings and a couple of age-appropriate toys and assembled the mighty bouncer.  I once read that just when a woman thinks her job is done, she becomes a grandmother. Amen to that! 
I dodged a bullet on this one.  Thanks be to God.  xo