Sunday, December 30, 2012

holiday treats

 

The holidays are not complete without a plethora of pleasing sweets. Just ask little Yai Ya.  He sampled one of my creations and the verdict was a big MMMMMMM. 
Mom's Wreath Treats
 
My mom made these every year and while I could not find her recipe, I conjured up my own using her basics.  These do not stay around for long as I have made four batches already; yesterday I used yellow to make sunflowers for the new year.  This one is guaranteed to please your pallate and the beauty of it all is absolutely no baking required.
 
3 cups each rice krispies and corn flakes (6 cups total)
(at first I could not find corn flakes and used frosted flakes, so you can easily use 2 cups krispies, corn and frosted flakes if you desire)
1 stick butter
1/4 tsp. sea salt
10 oz. mini marshmellows
(the large don't adhere as well, but you can still use them)
green and red food coloring and sprinkles
1 cup each pecans and coconut
 
Melt butter and sea salt in a large pot.  Add marshmellows and stir.  Remove from heat and add cereals, mixing quickly.  Add coconut and nuts.  Add food color.  Form into balls, mold and press on cookie tray.  Add green sprinkles for red wreaths and vice versa.  The wreaths will adhere quickly once they set, so no worries about falling apart. 
Janet's Thin Mints and Do Si Dos
 
Another stovetop cookie that is quite easy to make.  I shared the thin mints a few years ago, so I'll just add the pb recipe.
 
ritz crackers
1 bag each dark and ghiradelli semi sweet chocolate morsels
1/2 cup oil
peanut butter
 
Spread pb on each cracker and set aside.  In a medium pot, melt all chocolates with oil and stir until smooth.  Remove from heat and dip pb crackers in chocolate and let sit on a cookie tray lined with wax paper.  This is important for if you do not use the paper, the cookies will stick to the tray and fall apart.  Cool in fridge or garage on days like today.  Bring back to room temperature for 20 minutes then separate.  Another winner.
 
Mom's Cherry Ring
 
I stumbled upon this recipe in a school fundraiser cookbook from years past and it was labeled Virg's Cherry Ring.  I had to make it at that point, as this season she has been channeling her baking skills into me all month.  I usually only make kolacky cookies but found myself following her footsteps in recipes for nut cups, almond and pecan crescents, sugar cookies as well as the tons of assorted kolackies and above recipes.  After yesterday I am done with sweets for a long time.  My goal is accomplished. 
 
1 cup water
 1/2 cup butter
 1 cup flour
 4 eggs
 1 cup milk
 3/4 cup sour cream
 3 (3/4 pkg.) vanilla instant pudding
 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
 2 cans cherry pie filling
 
Cook water, flour and butter to boil, stir vigorously until it forms a ball (about 1 minute)  Remove from heat.  Add eggs and beat until smooth.  Drop dough by tablespoons onto cookie sheet to form 8" ring and smooth with spatula.  (I actually used my round pizza stone) Bake until puffs are golden (50 minutes on 400 degrees)  Cool for 20 minutes, then cut off the top with a sharp knife.
 
  Beat milk, sour cream, pudding (dry), add almond extract (about 1 minute)
 
Fill cream puff ring with pudding mixture, then spoon 1 can of cherry pie filling on top of pudding.  Replace top of cream puff ring and spoon remaining can of cherry filling on top.  Refrigerate. 
 
You can just make individual puffs if you do not prefer a ring.
Ponti waiting for a morsel ~ he has a huge sweet tooth ~ sorry Poncho, no can do for you
Had to add this pic of Bambi drinking out of her water glass (she prefers this to her water bowl)
Thumper ~ Ozis ~ Bambi hovering the table
Dillan and Thumper
Last but not least, our Big Daddy looking sharp at 77.
 
Sweet dreams, ya'll. xo